Marrakech is a magical, picturesque and unique city. You can find mosques, palaces, gardens, souks and squares where you will undoubtedly discover its essence.
It is an adventure to explore the narrow streets of the medina. It is so relaxed to visit the desert of Merzouga, part of the Sahara desert, mounted on dromedary…
If you are planning to travel to Marrakech, I invite you to read this entry where you will discover what must-see things to do in this city.
- Take tea while you watch the sunset in the square JEMAA EL FNA. This square is one of the main cultural areas of Marrakech (declared an Intangible Cultural Heritage of Humanity). You have to visit this square in the morning and in the afternoon. It is definitely another at dusk. From the terrace of the Hotel Restaurant Café de France you can have unforgettable views.
- VISIT THE MOSQUE KOUTOBA. It is the main mosque in Marrakech. Although only the Muslims can enter it, you can appreciate it from the outside.
- LOST IN THE ZOCO STREETS. The souk is a market full of little shops where you can find everything. Here they sell a thousand kinds of handicrafts from lamps, carpets, trays and decorative glasses, etc … up to hundreds of spices of different flavors and smells like saffron, for example. It is an adventure to cross over them without getting lost.
- VISIT MEDERS BEN YOUS SEF. It is the largest and most important Muslim school in Morocco, specializing in religious studies. It is located 5 minutes walk from Jemaa El Fna square. The entrance fee is 10Dh.
- EAT THE FAMOUS CUSCUS AND TAJIM. These are very typical dishes of the area. The couscous is made from grits combined with meats and/or vegetables. And the tajine, besides being the name given to the recipient, is a kind of stew made with meat and vegetables. Both dishes you have to try.
- MAKE A TOUR IN THE DESERT OF MERZOUGA (SAHARA). Although this is not inside the city of Marrakech, you can take a tour from here to go to the desert of Merzouga (generally of 3 days). Riding the dromedary in the desert, watching the sunset, is priceless.
- MEET THE AIT BEN HADU FORTRESS. One of the most beautiful places in Morocco with breathtaking views. This spectacular fortress made of mud and adobe housed great Berber people. With landscapes literally of film, here were recorded several films like The Mummy, Jesus of Nazareth, the last temptation of Christ, The Jewel of the Nile and Gladiator, among others. The visit to this fort is included in the desert tour.
- MEET OUARZAZATE. In this village is the ATLAS CORPORATION STUDIOS, which would become the Hollywood of the desert. In this studio were filmed several famous films like The Ten Commandments, Cleopatra and many others. The visit to this town is also part of the desert tour.
Without a doubt, this city is full of charm and culture. It is not necessary to visit any tourist place especially to feel it, just walking through the squares of this city teaches you part of their customs. Although we were short in Marrakech (including a 3-days desert tour), we were able to see the most important sites.
We hope you liked it and, above all, that it is useful to you. Also, if you want to know more, we show you our experience on this trip.
If you liked the post, support us with a like! [fblike]
Kiss and hugs.