Pisa is a well-known tourist destination in the world. Its main attraction is the famous leaning tower of Pisa, unique in the world. Although it can also boast of its cathedral, the Baptistery of San Giovanni, museums …
In addition, for its situation in the northern part of Italy, it is an unbeatable tourist option as part of a trip through this area of the country: Florence, Bologna, Venice, …
Do not think too much, prepare your trip to Pisa, and rest of Italy, taking into account the advice we give you below.
1. How to get to Pisa
There are several options to get here:
- Direct flight: It is the most direct and quick way to get there, although you have to take into account that it has less frequent flights than other nearby airports, such as Rome or Florence.
- By train: It is the most used means of transport in Italy to move between cities. You can get to Pisa from the main cities of the country: Rome, Florence, Venice, Genoa, …
- By bus: It is a good option to get to Pisa from any city. It’s even cheaper than the train.
2. When is the best time to visit Pisa
Although it depends on taste, the most recommended stations to visit Pisa, and the region of Tuscany in general, are spring and autumn. At that time the temperatures are mild and there are beautiful views in the countryside.
Summer is not a bad time either, the only thing that can be quite hot and hotel prices are higher. The winter is colder and rainier, so it is less advisable unless you like the snowy landscapes.
3. Where to stay in Pisa?
Since it is a tourist site, you will not have any accommodation problems. There is a variety of apartments, houses, hotels and hostels of different prices at your disposal.
However, since there is not much to see in the city, we recommend that you see the option to stay in Florence and get closer on the day to Pisa to see the leaning tower. Another option is to visit it on the way, without staying there, as part of a circuit through the center-north of Italy, such as: Rome-Florence-Venice-Pisa-Rome.
4. What places of interest are there in the city of Pisa?
While the leaning tower and the cathedral are the main tourist attractions, there are others that should also be highlighted:
It is the most important tourist square in the city. Formed by gardens and surrounded by ancient walls, here is the famous leaning tower, the cathedral, the baptistery, the holy field and several museums.
Leaning Tower of Pisa
The tower, built in the 12th century, has 8 levels and a height of 58 meters. It is famous for the inclination that was taken from the moment of its construction (fruit of the marshy land where it sits). Currently, the tilt it reaches is 4 ° and there is no fear for its collapse.
It should be noted that it is not a tower without a specific purpose. Actually is the bell tower of the cathedral of Pisa, which was built outside the structure of the temple.
And, like most tourists, we could not resist doing a photo holding the tower …
The cathedral of Pisa
Of Romanesque style, it is the main temple of the city and one of the most important in the northern part of Italy. It is a sample of the past splendor of this rich region.
Battistero di San Giovanni
It is the baptistery (chapel for the sacrament of baptism) largest in Italy. Contrast its simple interior with the grandeur and exterior decoration. At the top of its dome stands the statue of Saint John Baptist (reaching almost the same height as the leaning tower).
Monument in honor of the wolf that, according to the Roman mythology, nursed Romulus and Remus (founders of Rome).
Museums and other places of interest
The city has a good number of museums where to enjoy Italian art and music, the main ones being:
- Museo Delle Sinopie: It contains the largest collection of sinopias (preliminary drawings of a painting) made in the medieval ages of the world. These were discovered after a post-fire restoration (during World War II).
- Museo dell’Opera del Duomo: It stores objects and restored statues of the cathedral and of the own square of Miracoli.
- Museo nazionale di San Matteo: It is the main museum of the city specialized in painting and sculpture, although it also conserves important samples of medieval manuscripts and ceramics.
In addition, it has other spaces of interest to visit.
5. Comida típica de Pisa
In addition to the typical pizzas, pastas and ice cream, in Pisa you can find other exquisite culinary varieties:
- Minestra di fagioli bianchi (White bean soup): Mediterranean dish very typical of this area of Italy.
- Bavettine sul pesce (Pasta with fish sauce): The pasta is an Italian classic. Not only do people eat carbonara or bolognese, but fish is also used to accompany it.
- Zuppa di ranocchi (Frog soup): If you are more daring, you can try this dish based on frog legs.
- Co’bischeri de Pontasserchio: Rice cake, eggs, candied fruit, raisins, pine nuts and plenty of chocolate.
- Castagnaccio: Cake made from chestnut flour.
All accompanied by a good Italian wine from Tuscany: Chianti, Brunello di Montalcino, Carmignano,…
6. Nearby cities to Pisa
The privileged situation of the city of Pisa means you can visit other nearby places on the same trip:
- Florence: The capital of Tuscany and one of the most charming cities in Italy and Europe. Stands out for countless monuments and museums: The Duomo, the David by Michelangelo, the Pitti Palace, … It is located 85 km from Pisa.
- Genoa: It is an important commercial and maritime point in northern Italy. It stands out, like other Italian cities, for its artistic heritage. It is located 1:45 hours from Pisa.
- Bologna: Capital of the Emilia-Romagna region, noted for the care and well-preserved old town (of medieval origin). Also, if you like the automotive world, just 45 km from the city you can find the Ferrari factory, in Modena. This city is 2 hours from Pisa.
- Rome: The Eternal City. The whole city itself is a tourist place: fountains, churches, bridges, palaces, … By high-speed train it is 2:30 hours from Pisa.
- Venice: Although it is located further away, 3:30 hours by train, the city of Venice, with its canals, gondolas, palaces, bridges … is a destination that you can not miss.
If you liked the post, support us with a like! [fblike]
Kiss and hugs.